Saturday, July 28, 2007

Review: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


This book was totally out of my comfort zone -- first of all it was a young adult novel and while I don't totally turn my nose up at these, I usually want a little more "meat" in my books, something a little deeper, if you will. Secondly it is about vampires. Yes, you read it right, vampires. It isn't as if I have never read a vampire book before, over a decade ago I read several in a series of vampire romances by Linda Lael Miller (quite by accident, I had nothing to read in the car but the first book in this series and was stuck in traffic) and found the books quite appealing. That said, I still wasn't crazy about the idea of a novel feature vampires. But I happened to mention online about being in LaPush taking our grandson, Quinn surfing. An online friend (thanks, Tammy!) mentioned that there was this book, Twilight by Stephenie Meyers, that has Quileute Indian legends in it, the Quileute Reservation being in LaPush. I was really surprised and asked where else the book took place and she told me Forks, Washington and said she didn't know whether it was a real place or not. I wrote back that assuring her it was, that we had eaten dinner there the night previously. So I ordered this book and the next book in the series, New Moon. I was ready for a new read and began reading this as soon as it arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at what a fun read it was. There were so many places I recognized and the sexual tension between Edward (the vampire) and Bella (who isn't) was almost palpable. The climactic scene (which takes place in the Phoenix area) was very exciting, so much so I couldn't put the book down. Although I needed to take a break from vampires before reading the next book in the series, I will be reading New Moon soon and plan on buying the third in the series, Eclipse, which comes out the first week in August.

1 comment:

Taminator said...

I am SO glad you enjoyed this book, Maudeen! It's one of my favorites.

Tammy