Monday, July 02, 2007

My First Garden


Anyone who knows my mother, a Master Gardener now almost 88 years old, would be amazed to find out that her only daughter has never had a vegetable garden until this year. I have had herb gardens for years but never had the motivation, time, or desire. Last year I did my first major flower garden/landscaping project only to see my work go for naught when we had to move when the landlord decided to sell the house (still vacant after 9 months - there's nothing like Karma). When we found this little cottage, formerly owned by a Master Gardener, the landscaping was complete but in the back yard there were 5 1/2 raised beds - yet at first we had no plans on doing anything with them. The only gardening I thought I would do would be a few containers - herbs and flowers. But then spring came and I saw the seed packets and decided to buy a few. John got the fever and bought a few more and a garden was begun. We now have a flourishing garden where we have been eating salad greens every night (arugula, buttercrunch, romaine, spinach), cucumbers, squash, zucchini, radishes, onions, corn, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots and even artichokes. In containers I have various herbs and basil, peppers, and broccoli.

No comments: