Saturday, July 21, 2007

Review: What Matters Most by Luanne Rice


I just now finished this fabulous book -- though I must admit I could barely read the last 30 pages I was crying/sobbing so hard!!! Honestly, I couldn't see the pages. I dropped everything else I was reading when this book arrived Thursday but really started reading it voraciously Friday night, read until 2 AM and then have been reading it all day today. This is the story of Sister Bernadette and Tom Kelly from Sandcastles and their trip to Ireland to try to find the son they gave up for adoption 23 years earlier. I will admit to being disappointed by several of Luanne Rice's recent books (although I did enjoy Sandcastles) but this is without a doubt the best Luanne Rice has done in years, even better than the Roses series from a couple years ago. There was a little plot device toward the end that I wish she hadn't used but honestly, I can forgive her for it since the over 330 pages were so fabulous; pulled at the heartstrings so magnificently. Two of the hallmarks of a GREAT book for me --- if it makes me cry/sob and if I can read it straight through without putting it down. This had both. Second only to A Thousand Splendid Suns as the best book I have read all year.

3 comments:

Les said...

This sounds wonderful, Maudeen. Now to find the time to read! I've barely read a dozen pages in the past week. I have to say, it'll be good to have a long flight home in order to read my book!

Marcia said...

Yes, this does sound good, Maudeen. I finished The Maytrees earlier this week and have been picking up and putting down "the next read" all week...Maytrees left me basking in that wonderful shadow of a great book. So, just before I got on the computer to roam around a bit, I put What Matters Most on the reading table. Now I'm eager to get to it!

Beachreader said...

Les, what did you end up reading on your long flight home?

Marcia,

I hope you enjoyed What Matters Most as much as I did. It is such a tearjerker and that might turn some people off but I completely reveled in it! I just needed a good cry, I guess.