Saturday, August 11, 2007

I Know I'm Not in Iowa, but . . .




They said it couldn't be done. Even my mother, the Master Gardener, never raised corn instead preferring to buy it from Norm at the stand down the road. And while that corn was delicious, I have always wondered what corn might taste like coming right from the garden. I do have memories of having corn at my aunt's farm in South Dakota and remember even as frozen corn it being the best I'd ever tasted. It was those memories and a love for good yellow corn that motivated me to try to grow my own. Here is what it looks like today. If we can just keep the ears free of bugs for a few more weeks. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maudeen, A little tip I learned from my Dad to keeping unwelcome visitors from chowing down on your sweet corn is to take a bottle of mineral oil and an eyedropper and put a few drops at the base of the corn silk. This works best when the ears are just starting to form but it will work later on as well.

Beachreader said...

Thanks for the info, Jeanette. I read this somewhere else as well and we are doing this. We hope it works. The ears don't seem to be getting very big, but if we have counted correctly we think we'll have 3-4 dozen ears of corn off our little crop. Not too bad for beginners, eh? Perhaps it's because I had grandparents born in Iowa LOL!