Sunday, August 05, 2007

Concert Review: Patty Griffin - Seattle March 19, 2007



We had a wonderful evening in Seattle for my first Patty Griffin concert. We caught an early ferry from Bainbridge Island to Seattle, parking behind the Moore Theater and then walking the two blocks to Lola's one of of our favorite Seattle restaurants, walking back to the theater and our seats in the center section on the aisle, the first row of permanent seats but with four rows of folded chairs in front of us. I have to say her opening act which consisted of her drummer and another percussionist doing a lot of latin-flavored tunes, wasn't really my cuppa. And it took an inordinately looonnnngggg time for the roadies to get things ready so Patty didn't take the stage until after 9PM. But she was well worth waiting for. I know I should have written out the set list but she did start out with Get Yourself Another Fool, went to Stay on the Ride (my husband's favorite song from the new CD) and then Trapeze. She then went on the play the piano, did some songs solo with just her and the guitar, and a BEAUTIFUL Up to the Mountain (MLK Song) accompanied by her guitar player.

What she did do that was different from the set lists from this tour I have seen was including Long Road Home (but not Fly). After her encore, they began to play the house music but after a rousing version of Getting Ready the audience was just not ready to let Patty leave. She came back out, solo, and went over to the piano and did a goose-bump giving J'irai La Voir Un Jour - it brought tears to my eyes. And it wasn't the first time during the evening her singing had brought me to tears.

This was my first Patty Griffin concert and I can assure you it won't be my last. If possible, I came away liking her even more than I did already. She was absolutely outstanding!

No comments: