Sunday, August 05, 2007

Concert Review: John Prine - April 19, 2007 - Seattle



This was my third John Prine concert, and although not my favorite, I think the man is incapable of doing a bad concert. We had great seats (sixth row, center) and the only real negative was an obnoxious couple sitting immediately to my right who when they weren't talking to one another, were singing along (loudly), whistling, or walking over me to get (more refreshments, to the bathroom, who knows?) but I digress.


Opening act Mindy Smith did an adequate job. Her song dedicated to the memory of her mother, "One Moment More" was particularly touching.


Here is the set list for the evening - please forgive any mistitled songs:

1) Spanish

) Picture Show

3) Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

4) Six O'Clock News

5) Souvenirs - before the song he mentioned that his Martin guitar had walked around backstage in the dark and broke its neck so he was using Steve Goodman's guitar -- very fitting

6) Far From Me

7) Grandpa Was a Carpenter

8) Fish and Whistle

9) Glory of True Love

10) Long Monday w/ Mindy Smith

11) Taking a Walk w/ Mindy

12) In Spite of Ourselves w/ Mindy (she is no Iris)

13) Angel from Montgomery w/ Mindy

14) Jesus, The Missing Years

15) Clay Pigeons

16) Dear Abby

17) Sam Stone (you could hear a pin drop except for the couple next to me talking)

18) Take Me Back "In Memory of Hunter Thompson" (This is one I am not sure of the title)

19) Saddle in the Rain

20) Ain't Hurtin' Nobody (Wow!)

21) Hello in There

22) Lake Marie

Encore:

23) People Putting People Down

24) Paradise

I missed hearing Big Ol' Goofy World and That's the Way the World Goes 'Round (or the Happy Enchilada song and story) and other favorites but realize he can't do them all in a two hour show. The consensus from people I talked to after the show was that it was "fantastic" . I was happy I went even though we had a long drive back to Port Townsend on a weeknight -- it was well worth it.

No comments: