Sunday, August 12, 2007

Eating Locally
















I know we can't do it too often. But we're going to try to do it every once in awhile. That is eat locally. The first time I was a made of this aware of was with Barbara Kingsolver's latest book, Animal Vegetable Miracle http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/ and then I saw something on the news about the 100 Mile Diet http://100milediet.org/ where in essence one only eats what is grown 100 miles from where they live. Some people do it for a year, some for a month and in our instance we did it for a meal. OK, most of a meal. The olive oil and Grana Padano cheese for the pesto (recipe from my favorite cookbook - The Silver Palate Cookbook) wasn't local - and neither was was the penne pasta. But the spot prawns were from Puget Sound (purchased at New Day Fisheries in Port Townsend), the basil for the pesto was home grown, the salad (buttercrunch and romaine lettuce, zucchini, onion, peppers) were all from our garden, our grilled zucchini - from our garden, the wine - Johannesburg Reisling from Chateau Ste. Michelle across the sound in Woodinville, Washington. It was a wonderful dinner and we're are going to try to do this more often. Everyone has their reasons for participating. They want to reduce the use of fossil fuels by buying foods that aren't shipped cross-country or internationally. They're supporting and getting to know local farmers and businesses. The food is fresher, healthier and better tasting - the latter I can attest to. I couldn't believe how wonderful this all tasted. And it was quite an accomplishment. As my husband remarked, "Did you ever believe you'd be eating this much food from your own garden?" I shook my head no. As we came inside from eating our dinner al fresco (shockingly the weather warmed up just enough for us to be able to do so) I told my husband that I didn't think our garden was big enough. Now that is a real shock coming from someone who couldn't even keep a houseplant alive.

1 comment:

Les said...

I would love to try to grow my own tomatoes & corn, but we have far too many rabbits and squirrels in our backyard. Fortunately, we have a fabulous farmer's market (and corn/tomato stands on nearly every corner in the summer!).