Sunday, August 05, 2007

Concert Review: Emmylou Harris - May 3, 2007 - Eugene


I had a wonderful time at the concert at the Hult Center in Eugene. I drove down in a torrential rainstorm --- foreign to me from the land of the rainshadow -- but finally arrived around 5PM. Rested a bit at my friend, Joan's home and then we went to dinner at a little place across the street. The Hult Center is fabulous. The seats plush and the acoustics just outstanding. I would put it all on par -- if not even better - with the Benaroya in Seattle. She was with Kennedy/Rose so the set was similar to what we saw in Seattle in December yet enough different to make each song a surprise.

From what I could read from my messy notes taken in the dark:

Emmylou Eugene Set List

Here I Am
Orphan Girl
Love and Happiness
To Know Him is To Love Him
Red Dirt Girl
To Mother You (Sinead O'Connor) – Beautiful!!!!!!!!
Spanish is a Loving Tongue (Ian and Sylvia Song)
In My Dreams
Strong Hand (for June)
Evangeline
The Boxer
For No OneGo To Sleep Little BabyTo Daddy

Going Back to Harlan

After the Goldrush

The Pearl

Bright Morning Stars are Rising (Spiritual)

Encore:

Boulder to Birmingham

Save the Last Dance for Me


I had just said to Joan that I didn't think I had ever been to a concert where she hadn't done Boulder to Birmingham -- and that was the only song I would have been disappointed if she hadn't done. My friend discovered Emmylou with Wrecking Ball so she didn't miss not hearing a lot of the old songs. Joan is also a big Neil Young fan so enjoyed After the Goldrush. And amazingly, before the concert they were playing Neil Young -- after the concert they were playing Van Morrison as the house music. Pretty amazing. As I told Joan, there are no coincidences.

No comments: