Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Church of Garrison Keillor


Many years (over 2o) before the movie came out, Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion has been a mainstay of my life. My children were raised on it, I introduced my Midwest-raised parents to it, have seen the show live (albeit in Seattle) and when visiting Minnesota in 2000 and having cousins take us to St. Paul to the Titanic Exhibit the only thing on my mind was getting to see the Fitzgerald Theater! We try to catch it on Saturdays but now it comes on at 3PM instead of 5PM like it did back in the day so we tune in to the broadcast on Sunday mornings. I have even caught my daughter listening to it at the Celtic store she works at on Sunday mornings. Not being church-going people any longer (I was raised in the Lutheran church so I get a lot of the jokes - especially since my dad was German Lutheran, I get both sides of the jokes from the show) and my husband was a PK (preacher's kid) - surprisingly the only church was have joined during our 15 years of marriage has been the Unitarian Church. And while we SHOULD go more often, we prefer the tranquility of the quiet Sunday mornings, a little Guy Noir, a Little from the Hopeful Gospel Quartet, some ads from the Catsup Advisory Board and the Duct Tape Society and the News from Lake Wobegon where as you all know, "WHERE THE WOMEN ARE STRONG, THE MEN ARE GOOD LOOKING, AND ALL OF THE CHILDREN ARE ABOVE AVERAGE®."

No comments: