Sunday, October 28, 2007

Concert Review: Iris Dement, Olympia, Washington 10/20/07






Iris Dement is a folk/Americana singer who is probably best known for her song, "Our Town" which was the song played over the closing credits over the last episode of Northern Exposure or as a duet partner for such singers as John Prine. This is a copy of the review I sent to No Time to Cry, the Iris Dement internet discussion list of which I have been a member in some way or another for over 10 years:

Iris was in Olympia, WA October 20th for a fundraiser for both the Foundation for Self-Sufficiency in Central America (the same organization that brought her to Olympia two years ago) and for the Olympia Film Society. One thing I love about Iris - at the end of the show she asked concert-goers to contribute to these organizations whereas the opening act was hawking his CDs and art prints (perhaps he needed the $).
The show was to start at 8PM; we had conflicting reports of when we could pick up our tickets (all were will-call, no Ticketmaster for this show) and when the doors would open (7 or 7:30). We got in line at about 6:25, the box office opened at 6:30, the doors at 7. We went in the right side aisle and then saw the piano over to the left and I thought- aha - that is going to be the best place (special guests already had the first 4-5 rows center) so we found seats on the aisle in the 3rd row on the left side in this auditorium that seats around 600 (and amazingly wasn't sold out!)

There was a rather forgettable, and thankfully short, opening act. After a short intermission, Iris took the stage. I chose not to keep a set list during the evening and instead within half an hour after the show tried to write down the songs that were sung (I had my iPod to jog my memory). I can say she looked better and sounded better, was more self-assured than I have ever seen her.

Other than some strange leopard-print stockings, she was dressed lovely in a velvety skirt with jacket, very nice and even her hair looked very stylish and healthy. That said, it was clear she was still Iris with her sense of humor, her stating that it still felt strange for her to be sitting up on stage with us watching her. She said she likes it, but it's still strange. She said many nice things about her mother ("I may have tired her out,I'm afraid. She'll be 90 in February") in an introduction to Mama Told Her Truth.

Other than the first song and the encore, I have no idea what order the songs were sung - and forgive me for any omissions or errors as this was done by memory:

When My Morning Comes Around - started the show

New Songs:

Mama's Truth
River of Tears - Intro'd as a happy song
Anniversary Song (we have no title, others have called it This Love's Gonna Last, but she called it an anniversary song and since we are celebrating our anniversary on the 24th, I am calling it the Anniversary Song)
How I Learned Now to Pray (I loved this)
Goodbye Party (Great old Cindy Walker song)
That's the Way Love Goes (I had never heard her to this or the above song in concert before and particularly enjoyed this one)
****Another unfamiliar song - Applause was too loud when she announced who wrote/sang it originally

IRIS SONGS:
Mama's Opry
After You're Gone
He Reached Down
No Time to Cry
Let the Mystery Be
Easy's Getting Harder
The Way I Should
Encore:Sweet is the Melody --- and the piano broke - she mentioned earlier how nice it was to have a beautiful piano as it wasn't always the case. When this happened - and truly keys weren't playing - she said,"Looks aren't everything" She tried boldly to go on before switching to the guitar for:
Our Town

Her voice was strong, but as I believe others had mentioned, most of her songs had different arrangements than what we are familiar with on her CDs and previous concerts. I have no idea why that is, but after a bit, and being somewhat prepared, it really didn't make any difference. This was Iris and it was wonderful to be in the moment. She brought me to tears more than once. We had wonderful concert partners, a coworker of mine and his wife (he has been to about as many Iris concerts as I have so is a huge fan and agreed this was huge fan and agreed this was one of the best concerts she's ever done.



My conclusion is that it WAS the best Iris concert ever; if not the best concert I've ever been to. And this is despite the fact she didn't do my favorite, Walking Home. If you haven't seen Iris live, this is her best time. Even if you have, get out to see her again. She is magnificent.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michael Hurley is a legend and a truly great artist. Its too bad you could not open your ears and enjoy him.