Saturday, November 03, 2007

OCTOBER READS







Not a very good month as far as number of books read -- was reading too much reference on Alzheimer's I'm afraid. But I did finish the following:

Lottery - Patricia Wood - A

I was absolutely mesmerized by this gem of a read that tells of the $12 million lottery win by a man who is mentally challenged (NOT retarded but slow ). Plowed through it like mad! It was wonderful to read. First time I think I have ever read a book set in Everett, WA! (a town north of Seattle, not known to be the most, well shall we say, picturesque) - the aroma of the mills is mentioned and that says it all .

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - A

This was a rare re-read for me. I had to read it again after seeing the movie. This story of Chris McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp) and his fool-hardy adventures has been fodder for many discussions with my husband. I am sure more are to come as he is reading it now.

Service Included by Phoebe Dramrosch - B+
This was a Book Sense pick and is another in a succession of foodie memoirs I've been addicted to of late. This one is from a server/captain of Per Se restaurant in NYC (owned by Thomas Keller who also owns the famous French Laundry in northern CA). This tells of true gourmet/fine dining. It was very interesting to see how others dine - I doubt I will ever taste many of the foods on the menu at this place but I enjoyed the read.

1 comment:

Nan said...

This is in regard to the Krakauer book - have you heard about the story of the guy's father? Here are a couple links. One is a book the stepmother wrote about her husband, and the other an article about the man. I hope the addresses work.

http://www.amazon.com/
Losing-Garden-Marriage-
Laura-Waterman/dp/1593760485

http://query.nytimes.com/
gst/fullpage.html?res=
9C00E6DA163BF933
A15757C0A9659C8B63&sec=
&spon=&pagewanted=print