Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fall Bounty & A Recipe








We feel our first attempt at growing vegetables has been a success! We've eaten over a dozen ears of corn, each one better than the one before. I told John that of all the fresh vegetables from the garden, the corn is what I will miss the most once it's gone. We have more tomatoes than we can possibly eat and I have been taking them to work to share with my coworkers. The cucumbers have been the best I have ever eaten. Next to the corn, the nicest surprise has been the brussel sprouts. Neither of us had even seen brussel sprouts growing before, never knew what they looked like in the garden. I really, really love brussel sprouts and eating them fresh are so delicious. Their test is less cabbage-y -- they seem to have a flavor all their own. I found this simple recipe a few years ago and it has been our favorite method of fixing them ever since:

2 slices bacon
1 clove garlic
1-2 cups brussel sprouts, cleaned and cut in half

Cut up bacon in inch long pieces and place in small frying pan, Add cut up garlic, once you have a bit of bacon grease, add your brussel sprouts and cook until heated through. Enjoy.

No comments: