Saturday, September 23, 2006

Concert Review: Elton John - Seattle, September 22, 2006


We're finally home from a whirlwind evening, leaving home at 4:30,catching the 6:30 ferry to Seattle, rushing to the Seattle Center and fortunately finding decent parking for only $5 less than 3 blocks from the venue for the 8 PM starting time. Elton was prompt - coming onstage within 5 minutes of the stated time, leading to a mad rush for some to get to their seats. Our seats were on the main floor, 14th row. I now remember why I don't enjoy big venues. Immediately everyone on the floor stood, so for the first 5 songs, we had to stand and strain to see (unless we wanted to look at the big screen, but if wanted to watch a concert on a screen I'd rent a DVD). He sang a lot of hits,then six songs from his new CD, then more great hits, for just under three hours! I was amazed. When he came out for his encore, before his band rejoined him, he stood from the stage and signed autographs for about 10 minutes. What a great performer, great man, and great humanitarian.

For those who are interested, here is the set list ofthe songs he performed:
Funeral for a Friend
Love Lies Bleeding
Bennie and the Jets
Philadelphia Freedom
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Believe
Tiny Dancer
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
Take Me To The Pilot
I Want Love
Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Postcards from Richard
Never Fade Away
The Bridge
Old 67
Captain and The Kid
Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
Rocket Man
Levon
Daniel
Crocodile Rock
Bitch is Back
Saturday Night
Encore:
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Your Song

The evening was interrupted by people climbing over us to get to and on the concourse) and the chatting of several young women behind me,who also sang along to nearly every song. I wanted to tell them if Ihad wanted to hear THEM sing, I would be paying them $135!!

All in all a VERY memorable evening; even John was impressed and he just went along for the ride basically because he knew how much Iwanted to go.

1 comment:

Les said...

Yay!! I'm so glad to see your reviews again! I feel the same way about large venue-concerts as you. We actually left a Bob Dylan concert because we were so annoyed with the crowd in front, beside, and behind us. And I HATE it when people sing along too loudly! Grrrrr. We have a lovely little venue called The Rococo here in Lincoln and we heard Lyle Lovett (for the 3rd or 4th time in a decade or so) play with a small ensemble. It was THE BEST! I doubt I'll ever go to a big concert again. Looking forward to reading more reviews, Maudeen!!