Sunday, February 05, 2006

Book # 3 The Mammy by Brendan O'Carroll


#3
Title THE MAMMY
Author Brendan O'Carroll
Rating A
Date Began/Finished January 3 - January 7, 2006
Genre/Date Published/# Pages - Fiction/Published in US 5/1999/174 pages
Main Characters: Agnes Browne, her friend Marion, and Agnes' children
Setting/Time Period 1960s Dublin
Where Book Came From: My TBR pile
Reason for Reading: I love Irish settings and Agnes Browne is one of
my favorite movies
Brief Blurb without Spoilers: Agnes is a recent widow struggling to
raise her children in a very poor area of Dublin. Verrryyyy funny but
also very touching.

The movie Agnes Browne is an all-time favorite of mine and the book
follows it very closely -- except the object of Agnes' affections is
not Tom Jones but Cliff Richard which really excited me because as a
teenager I adored Cliff Richard myself -- before The Beach Boys, about
the time of Bobby Rydell and Bobby Vee -- his rendition of "All in the
Game" was the song that sent me swooning. I plan on reading the
others in the series right away.

No comments: