Saturday, January 24, 2009

REVIEW: Almost Home by Pam Jenoff








As a State Department intelligence officer, Jordan Weiss' job has taken her to dangerous locations all around the world. However, one place she's refused to return to is England and the memories of Cambridge a decade earlier. When her dear friend Sarah, in the final stages of Lou Gehrig's disease, needs her in London, she decides to go be by her side. She requests and receives a transfer to London so she can be with her friend in her time of need, unaware that this new assignment may be one of the most dangerous yet.




Soon after her arrival an old friend, Chris, contacts her. He has some lingering doubts about what happened in Cambridge ten years previously, resulting in the death of Jordan's boyfriend, Jared. Chris convinces Jordan to return to Cambridge where they soon have more questions than answers as they quickly discover Jared's death wasn't the drowning accident they'd been led to believe.




Suspense and intrigue abound as Jordan searches for answers in Pam Jenoff's third novel (after The Kommandant's Girl and The Diplomat's Wife). The novel is full of twists and turns as Jordan comes closer to the truth. Jenoff deftly combines Jordan's story of 10 years ago with the present day in such a way that it will keep the reader glued to the pages as the mystery unravels. I am off to pluck her other two books off my TBR pile; I think I have discovered a new auto-buy author. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Maudeen~ I had this book in my hands just the other day at B&N but put it back in favor of something else. Your review is prompting me to revisit Almost Home and her other two titles which I, too, have sitting somewhere in the TBR piles surrounding me.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I just finished this one recently, and thought it was pretty good.