Sunday, October 26, 2008

And the bad times


My oldest son and I have been estranged for almost 10 years. I am trying to work things out to mend the rift in our relationship. But it has been difficult. There have been family functions to which I have not been invited although my older children have. I have mixed feelings about this. At time I feel betrayed. At others I figure at least I can hear about him. He is married (he and his now wife lived with us for several months in the late 90s when their home was ruined in the aftermath of a terrible snowstorm) and last December they had a baby girl. I have never seen her although she does have my middle name (and that of my mother, for whom she is really named). But this picture of little Tea Renee is too precious. As a grandmother I have to embrace this child. It breaks my heart that I have missed so much. She was baptized at our family's old church Friday night and I was not invited. My daughter took this picture beforehand. I pray every day that my son will be able to let the past be behind him and think about the future. For what a legacy is this to this baby?

1 comment:

Taminator said...

I had no idea you had an older son, Maudeen. The baby is precious and I hope you two can find your way back to each other somehow.