Sunday, February 27, 2005

WE ARE ALL FINE HERE

5) WE ARE ALL FINE HERE by Mary Guterson
January 27 – January 28th
Rating: 8/10
# pages 189
© 2005
Fiction
Recently purchased
Reason for reading: Read review and it sounded good.

When I first read a review of this book, I thought this is a book I have to have as it sounds interesting and the author lives in the town where I lived for the majority of the 1990s. So when my husband was near a local bookstore a few hours later, I asked him to pick it up for me. I was surprised when he got it home and it was so, well, small. I thought I had wasted my money on this tiny little book that I didn’t know much about. I had even thought of returning it.

But this was an amazing little book. It was so full of stark reality and LOL funny in some places. She had a dark sense of humor which I really enjoyed. Basically, Julia is a woman caught between two men – Jim, the one she married after she got pregnant with his child 16 years previously and Ray, her college sweetheart who she has never gotten out of her mind. When he calls her and asks her to accompany him to the wedding of old friends, she jumps at the chance not only to see many people she’s lost touch with, but to spend time with Ray—her true love. But when she gets pregnant and doesn’t know who the father might be as she also had one of her rare sexual encounters with her husband during this same time, things get, well, complicated.

Mary Guterson, sister of Snow Falling on Cedars author David Guterson, has an acerbic wit, and is often sarcastic as well as blunt as she writes in Julia’s point of view. My only complaint is that the book could have been longer and suffered from a few typos that threw me out of the story; but those are minor quibbles in the bigger scheme of things. I will be waiting with baited breath for her next book

No comments: